Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
We study the development and function of cortical circuits underlying motor control and cognitive processing. Our research program integrates multi-faceted approaches from genetic engineering to single-cell genomics, developmental neurobiology, imaging, electrophysiology, and behavioral analyses, and aims to link fundamental neuroscience to the understanding and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
- Professor of Neurobiology
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Cell Biology
- Office Location: 311 Research Drive, Box 3209, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 613-1573
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Brandeis University, 1995
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Elected Member. American Academy of Arts & Sciences. 2022
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
In the News
- New RNA-Based Tool Can Illuminate Brain Circuits, Edit Specific Cells (Oct 5, 2022)
- University Awards 24 New Distinguished Professorships (May 18, 2022)
- Four Faculty Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences (Apr 28, 2022)
- Duke Neuroscientist Co-Leads Massive Effort to Map Brain (Oct 6, 2021)
- Qian, Y; Li, J; Zhao, S; Matthews, EA; Adoff, M; Zhong, W; An, X; Yeo, M; Park, C; Yang, X; Wang, B-S; Southwell, DG; Huang, ZJ, Programmable RNA sensing for cell monitoring and manipulation., Nature, vol 610 no. 7933 (2022), pp. 713-721 [10.1038/s41586-022-05280-1] [abs].
- Huilgol, D; Levine, J; Galbavy, W; Wang, B-S; He, M; Suryanarayana, S; Huang, J, Direct and indirect neurogenesis generate a mosaic of distinct glutamatergic projection neuron types and cortical subnetworks (2022) [10.1101/2022.03.13.484161] [abs].
- Mohan, H; An, X; Kondo, H; Zhao, S; Matho, K; Musall, S; Mitra, P; Huang, J, Cortical glutamatergic projection neuron types contribute to distinct functional subnetworks (2022) [10.21203/rs.3.rs-1337382/v1] [abs].
- Deng, H; Xiao, X; Yang, T; Ritola, K; Hantman, A; Li, Y; Huang, ZJ; Li, B, A genetically defined insula-brainstem circuit selectively controls motivational vigor., Cell, vol 184 no. 26 (2021), pp. 6344-6360.e18 [10.1016/j.cell.2021.11.019] [abs].
- Dudok, B; Szoboszlay, M; Paul, A; Klein, PM; Liao, Z; Hwaun, E; Szabo, GG; Geiller, T; Vancura, B; Wang, B-S; McKenzie, S; Homidan, J; Klaver, LMF; English, DF; Huang, ZJ; Buzsáki, G; Losonczy, A; Soltesz, I, Recruitment and inhibitory action of hippocampal axo-axonic cells during behavior., Neuron, vol 109 no. 23 (2021), pp. 3838-3850.e8 [10.1016/j.neuron.2021.09.033] [abs].