Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
We study the development and function of cortical circuits underlying motor control and cognitive processing. Our research program integrates multi-faceted approaches from genetic engineering to single-cell genomics, developmental neurobiology, imaging, electrophysiology, and behavioral analyses, and aims to link fundamental neuroscience to the understanding and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience
- Professor of Neurobiology
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Cell Biology
- Office Location: 311 Research Drive, Box 3209, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 613-1573
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Brandeis University, 1995
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Elected Member. American Academy of Arts & Sciences. 2022
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- CMB 710E: Cell & Molecular Biology Module V
- CMB 710F: Cell & Molecular Biology Module VI
- NEUROBIO 393: Research Independent Study
- NEUROBIO 793: Research in Neurobiology
In the News
- New RNA-Based Tool Can Illuminate Brain Circuits, Edit Specific Cells (Oct 5, 2022)
- University Awards 24 New Distinguished Professorships (May 18, 2022)
- Four Faculty Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences (Apr 28, 2022)
- Duke Neuroscientist Co-Leads Massive Effort to Map Brain (Oct 6, 2021)
- Huilgol, D; Levine, JM; Galbavy, W; Wang, B-S; He, M; Suryanarayana, SM; Huang, ZJ, Direct and indirect neurogenesis generate a mosaic of distinct glutamatergic projection neuron types in cerebral cortex., Neuron, vol 111 no. 16 (2023), pp. 2557-2569.e4 [10.1016/j.neuron.2023.05.021] [abs].
- Huilgol, D; Russ, JB; Srivas, S; Huang, ZJ, The progenitor basis of cortical projection neuron diversity., Curr Opin Neurobiol, vol 81 (2023) [10.1016/j.conb.2023.102726] [abs].
- Yao, M; Tudi, A; Jiang, T; An, X; Sun, Q; Li, A; Huang, ZJ; Gong, H; Li, X, Long-range connectome of pyramidal neurons in the sensorimotor cortex., Iscience, vol 26 no. 4 (2023) [10.1016/j.isci.2023.106316] [abs].
- Liu, H; Caballero-Florán, RN; Hergenreder, T; Yang, T; Hull, JM; Pan, G; Li, R; Veling, MW; Isom, LL; Kwan, KY; Huang, ZJ; Fuerst, PG; Jenkins, PM; Ye, B, DSCAM gene triplication causes excessive GABAergic synapses in the neocortex in Down syndrome mouse models., Plos Biology, vol 21 no. 4 (2023) [10.1371/journal.pbio.3002078] [abs].
- Mohan, H; An, X; Xu, XH; Kondo, H; Zhao, S; Matho, KS; Wang, B-S; Musall, S; Mitra, P; Huang, ZJ, Cortical glutamatergic projection neuron types contribute to distinct functional subnetworks., Nat Neurosci, vol 26 no. 3 (2023), pp. 481-494 [10.1038/s41593-022-01244-w] [abs].